Winter Turf, formerly Futbolito, is indoor soccer, played with an indoor futsal ball. Kids get lots of touches on the ball, and the games are fast, fun and high scoring. Games are 5v5, with every team having 4 ﬁeld players and a goalie. The goals are full-size futsal goals for all age groups, to allow for even more scoring.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How many players for each team roster? Maximum of 9 players per team
- How long are the games? Every half is 22 mins (instead of just 20 mins) with a total of 44 mins of playing time per game. There is also a 5 min half time
- What do I get for registering? The registration covers 6 games, plus a tournament at the end of the season. Top two teams in every age bracket get medals. In addition, every player gets a premium 2 color double-sided vest.
- When is the Winter Turf season, and what days are games played? Games are played on Saturdays and Sundays from January through March. Every team is guaranteed 6 games + a tournament/playoff at the end
- If I coach, do I get a discount? Coaches get one kid’s registration waived for every team they coach (as long as the team has at least 7 players). We need coaches. Do consider volunteering. Your help makes a big diﬀerence to the kids you coach.
- How are teams formed? For our U7 to U10 age groups, we form teams based on coach and player requests. And for our U11 to U15 age groups, we have a draft.
- Are competitive players allowed to play? Competitive players are more than welcome! We typically have Co-Ed Comp Age Groups: U11-U12, U12-U13, and U14-U15. Competitive players will be drafted into well-balanced teams, to create an fair, fun playing ﬁeld.
- Where are games played? Each Futbolito season, Newark FC must negotiate the use of public school facilities in Newark and Fremont to host their Futbolito Season. As a result, the gymnasium locations are subject to change. We’ve used the following facilities in the past: Walters Junior High, Centerville Junior High, Mattos Elementary, and Mel Nunes Turf Field.
- Will Summer / Winter Turf be fun for my young players? Great question! Don’t take our word for it, check out the great Thierry Henry: